Thursday, January 13, 2011

Military Girlfriend


I am a military girlfriend. I hold no formal recognition with the powers that be I am at the bottom of the chain. I hold no Military ID card; I am not a dependent or a parent. The man I love may face unspeakable dangers and I am at the mercy of those who possess this recognition for news. I understand this and accept this. I have promised to be here for him. They may say I am insane for making such a commitment, but I hold onto our promises and have faith that he will come home soon...safe. There is no ring on my finger to symbolize our commitment, though I love him no less for it. I hope every day that he talks to me, because a simple phone call or text message brings the greatest spectrum of emotions smiling with tears in my eyes from so much joy and pain. My relationship is based on a brief communication where I love you and I’m okay speaks more than volumes and gives me the strength to keep going. I take no moment spent together for granted. I hold onto every touch, kiss, and every word. I have memorized the feel of his skin, his smell, the sound of his voice and I play it over and over in my mind so that I will never ever forget. I cry myself to sleep some nights because missing him hurts so badly, but wake up the next morning, brush myself off and start a new day. If you think being a soldier is tough, try loving one. If you think soldiers are strong, you should look at their girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment